Maternity Benefit Application
Maternity Benefit Application
Maternity Benefit is a payment made to women who are on maternity leave from work and covered by social insurance (PRSI). You should apply for the payment at least 6 weeks before you intend to go on maternity leave (12 weeks if you are self-employed). Maternity Benefit is paid for 26 weeks (156 days). Maternity Benefit is paid at a standard weekly rate of €250.
Do you qualify for a Maternity Benefit?
- To quality for maternity benefit, you must have at least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12 months before your first day of your maternity leave or
- At least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the Relevant Tax Year or in the year following the Relevant Tax Year or
- At least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the Relevant Tax Year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the Tax Year prior to the Relevant Tax Year
- Note: PRSI contributions paid at Classes A, E and H count.
- If you were in insurable self-employment before starting insurable employment as an employee and have Class S PRSI contributions these may help you qualify for Maternity Benefit.
- If you are a member of the Defence Forces and you pay PRSI at Class H, you are insured for Paternity or Maternity Benefit, but it is not payable while you are in service.
How to apply?
You should apply 6 weeks before you intend to go on maternity leave. If you are self-employed, you should apply at least 12 weeks before you intend to go on maternity leave.
You can apply for Maternity Benefit online at MyWelfare.ie.
You will need to fill in the questions on the online form and upload the supporting documentation, which is either a completed MB2 or MB3 form. The MB2 form must be completed by your employer. If you’re not working or you are self-employed, the MB3 form must be completed by your doctor.
To apply online you must have a Public Services Card and a verified MyGovID account. A big advantage with applying online is that qualifying online applications result in a fully automated award of benefit in a matter of seconds. You can also track the progress of your claim using MyWelfare.ie.
Fill in a Maternity Benefit application form and send it to the Maternity Benefit Section of the Department of Social Protection. This form is also available by post at the address listed below:
Maternity Benefit Section,
Department of Social Protection
The form includes an MB2 section which must be completed by your employer. If you’re not working or you are self-employed, you must get the MB3 section of the form completed by your doctor. Your doctor will not charge you for completing the MB3 section of the form.
Paycheck Plus, Your Outsourced Payroll Provider
Paycheck Plus is Ireland’s premier payroll outsourcing service. We offer professional and accurate payroll processing tailored to your company’s needs. With a 99.9% accuracy rating we can guarantee that our specialist payroll team will expertly execute your payroll.
Or you can contact our UK payroll service company on +44 (0) 161 464 8720