Emergency Tax

Emergency Tax

What is Emergency Tax, when is it applied and how can you get a refund?

Emergency tax is the higher rate tax basis that your employer must apply to your earnings when it is not clear what tax band you should be in.


Emergency Tax

When is Emergency Tax applied?

You will be placed on Emergency Tax when:

  1. You haven’t given your employer your P45 (for the current or previous year) or your Tax Credit Certificate (for the current year)
  2. You have given your employer your P45 (for the current or previous year) but it shows that Emergency Tax has been applied
  3. You have given your employer your P45 (for the current or previous year) but your PPSN is not on the document

Emergency Tax will be applied if any of the above 3 situations are true, however, different Tax rules apply depending if you have provided a PPSN or not. If you provide a PPSN “normal Emergency Tax rules” apply.

If you’re interested in the details of the different tax credits, rate bands and tax rates for the various weeks of employment under normal Emergency Tax rules continue reading below. However you might prefer to skip ahead.

Normal emergency tax rules

Under the normal emergency tax rules (if you have given your Personal Public Service Number (PPSN) to your employer), you get a tax credit and a rate band for your first weeks of employment. These are based on the Single Person Tax Credit and rate band for the tax year (whether you are single, married or in a civil partnership).

Your income is taxed at the standard rate until Week 8 (inclusive), and then it is taxed at the higher rate.

Here is a link to a PDF outlining Emergency Tax Rates & USC Rates.

Your employer will tax you as if it were week 9 under normal emergency tax rules. You will be taxed this way until you provide your PPS number. What happens if you do not give your employer your PPS Number?

It’s also worth noting that the emergency rate of USC (Universal Social Charge) will also be applied to your earnings at a rate of 8%.

How to claim a Tax refund?

To claim emergency tax back, you can simply send your employer your P45. They will then process it with Revenue and once processed your employer with refund any tax and USC (Universal Social Charge) that you’ve overpaid on your next pay day.

If you don’t have and cannot get your P45 you should inform Revenue of your job through your myAccount on Revenue’s website: click here. If you don’t have a myAccount, click here to register. Alternatively inform your employer that you do not have a P45, they will then need to complete a P46 form and send it to your Revenue office. Revenue will then issue them a tax credit certificate (P2C) for processing, and again, once processed, overpayments will be refunded to you on your next pay day.


For more related to Emergency Tax read:

Deductions When Calculating Employee Net Pay

Confessions to the Small Benefit Exemption Scheme

Child Benefit Tax Entitlements

Paycheck Plus, Your Outsourced Payroll Provider

Paycheck Plus is an award-winning Irish payroll company that specialises in payroll outsourcing. With industry-leading accuracy levels, strict levels of confidentiality, our affordable payroll service provides comprehensive outsourced payroll solutions to organisations of all sizes.

Our award-winning payroll firm offers a specialist payroll service which ensures payroll accuracy. Our payroll services include WRC inspection assistance, payroll consultancy and redundancy management. While our bespoke payroll software lets you consolidate your payroll processes into one simple and efficient workflow

For more information on our Irish payroll services simply request a payroll quote or call our Irish payroll bureau on +353 (0) 1 905 9400

Alternatively, you can contact our UK payroll agency on +44 (0) 161 464 8720