Annual Leave for Part-Time Workers
What is Annual Leave
All employees are entitled to annual leave, including full-time, part-time, temporary and casual workers. Most employees are entitled to 4 weeks’ annual leave each year. This will be set out in your contract of employment.
How to Calculate Annual Leave for Part Time Workers
Your annual leave entitlement can be calculated using one of these 3 options:
- If you have worked at least 1,365 hours in a leave year you are entitled to the maximum of 4 working weeks paid annual leave unless you changed employment mid-year.
- 1/3 of your working week for each calendar month in which you have worked at least 117 hours
- or, 8% of the hours you have worked in the leave year, subject to a maximum of 4 working weeks.
Option 3 is the most widely used method for part-time workers.
What Public Holidays Entitlements do Part Time Workers have?
As a part-time worker, you are entitled to public holidays if you have worked for your employer at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks before the public holiday.
- Where the public holiday falls on a day you normally work, you are entitled to a day’s pay for the public holiday. If you are required to work that day you are entitled to an additional day’s pay.
- If you do not normally work on that particular day you should receive one-fifth of your weekly pay. Even if you are never rostered to work on a public holiday you are entitled to one-fifth of your weekly pay as compensation for the public holiday.
For more on Public Holidays and Payroll Calculations read:
Paycheck Plus, Your Outsourced Payroll Provider
Paycheck Plus is an award-winning outsourced payroll provider, serving national and international businesses with industry-leading accuracy levels, strict levels of confidentiality and top-rated payroll processes. We provide comprehensive, ISO and ISAE 3402 accredited, payroll outsourcing services to organisations of all sizes.
Our highly experienced payroll processing experts can help you to navigate all aspects of local taxation and help you meet your legal requirements. Our services include international payroll processing, payroll consultancy, payroll audits, payroll reporting, payroll training, and much more.
To ensure payroll accuracy or for more information simply request a quote or call our Irish payroll company on +353 (0) 1 905 9400