St. Patrick’s Day Public Holiday Entitlement
St. Patrick’s Day IS a public holiday which this year falls on a Wednesday. If you work full-time you are immediately entitled to a public holiday benefit. Which benefit is the choice of your employer and can be one of the following:
- A paid day off on that day
- A paid day off within a month of that day
- An additional day of annual leave
- An additional day’s pay
Part-time/casual employees are also entitled to one of these benefits but only if they have worked at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks leading up to St. Patrick’s Day or any other public holiday.
Where the public holiday falls on a day that you normally work or are scheduled to work then:
- As a full-time employee, you are entitled to one of the public holiday benefits listed above,
- As a part-time employee, you must have worked 40 hours within the 5 weeks prior to the day in order to claim one of the above benefits.
Where the public holiday falls on a day that you are normally off work or are not scheduled to work then:
- As a full-time employee, you’re entitled to one-fifth of your normal working week either in payment or time in lieu,
- As a part-time employee, you are also entitled to one-fifth of your normal working week either in payment or time in lieu providing that you have completed the required 40 hours in the 5 weeks leading up to the date.
List of public holidays that fall under these rules:
- New Years Day
- Easter Monday
- St. Patrick’s Day
- May Day
- June Bank Holiday
- August Bank Holiday
- October Bank Holiday
- Christmas Day
- St. Stephen’s Day
Further information on your public holiday entitlements can be found in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.
For more related to St. Patrick’s Day a Public Holiday read:
Paycheck Plus, Your Outsourced Payroll Provider
Paycheck Plus is an award-winning Irish payroll company that specialises in payroll outsourcing. With industry-leading accuracy levels, strict levels of confidentiality, our affordable payroll service provides comprehensive outsourced payroll solutions to organisations of all sizes.
Our award-winning payroll firm offers a specialist payroll service which ensures payroll accuracy. Our payroll services include WRC inspection assistance, payroll consultancy and redundancy management. While our bespoke payroll software lets you consolidate your payroll processes into one simple and efficient workflow