Is St. Patrick’s Day a Public Holiday?
St. Patrick’s Day IS a public holiday which this year falls on a Sunday. If you work full-time you are immediately entitled to a public holiday benefit. Which benefit is the choice of your employer and can be one of the following:
- A paid day off on that day
- A paid day off within a month of that day
- An additional day of annual leave
- An additional day’s pay
Part-time/casual employees are also entitled to one of these benefits but only if they have worked at least 40 hours in the 5 weeks leading up to the public holiday.
Where the public holiday falls on a day that you normally work or are scheduled to work then:
- As a full-time employee, you are entitled to one of the public holiday benefits listed above,
- As a part-time employee, you must have worked 40 hours within the 5 weeks prior to the day in order to claim one of the above benefits.
Where the public holiday falls on a day that you are normally off work or are not scheduled to work then:
- As a full-time employee, you’re entitled to one-fifth of your normal working week either in payment or time in lieu,
- As a part-time employee, you are also entitled to one-fifth of your normal working week either in payment or time in lieu providing that you have completed the required 40 hours in the 5 weeks leading up to the date.
Other public holidays that fall under the same rules:
- New Years Day
- Easter Monday
- May Day
- June Bank Holiday
- August Bank Holiday
- October Bank Holiday
- Christmas Day
- St. Stephen’s Day
Further information on your public holiday entitlements can be found in the Organisation of Working Time Act 1997.
Paycheck Plus, Your Payroll Outsourcing Partner
Managing payroll can be a complex and time-consuming operation for businesses. Employee queries, employment updates, staff changes in status, keeping up to date with legislation, ensuring payroll compliance etc. can all take its toll on a business’ internal payroll resources. Here at Paycheck Plus, we’ve been providing comprehensive payroll services tailored specifically to each of our client’s needs for over a decade. Our payroll specialists handle all aspects of payroll management for our clients including answering our client’s employee queries through our Employee Assist Helpline.
From all of us here in Paycheck Plus, have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day.