Tax Credits

How to claim your Tax Credit for Service Charges

Claiming the Service Charges Tax Credit

Save 20% of your charges for water, refuse and sewage

Since January 2011, any expenditure you incur for Local Authority or Private Service Charges (refuse, water or sewage) cannot be included for tax relief.  However, you can still claim for payments made in 2010, 2009, 2008 and 2007 if you have not already done so.

All you need to do is contact your local tax office by calling a LoCall phone service depending on your location.

For Dublin the number is 1890 333 425;

East and South-East Region –  1890 444 425;

Border, Midlands and West Regions – 1890 777 425 

South West Region –  1890 222 425. 

You will need your PPS number to hand.

Alternatively you can sign up for PAYE Anytime which is a secure internet system by logging onto

Under the PAYE Anytime logo, click “Register”.  Fill in your personal details, including your PPS number, your address and your contact details.  Click “Continue” to submit your details.    In a few days you will receive your Revenue PIN in the post and you can start using PAYE Anytime.

If you have paid your bin charges by invoice, then the total of the invoice will be allowable (up to €400).  If you have paid by “tags” then just apply for the relief on the amount you spent.

Remember that you can claim for up to 4 years so get your receipts together for 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 and you can apply for the Tax Credit to be applied in respect of all those years.

The net effect will be a savings of 20% on all your bin charges – definitely worth the effort.


For more on Benefits & Entitlements Read:

Paycheck Plus, Your Award Winning Payroll Service

With more than 30 award wins already Paycheck Plus are the most decorated payroll company in Ireland. We provide comprehensive, ISO accredited payroll services to organisations off all sizes. Our multi-award-winning global payroll team specialise in all aspects of payroll, including payroll consultancypayroll audits, payroll reporting, payroll training and much more.

To ensure payroll accuracy or for more information on our payroll services simply request a quote or call our Irish office on +353 (0) 1 905 9400.